4.12.2009

Balança

When most Fridays roll around, the exhaustion has taken up residence after four days of listening to challenges, trying to find answers, and expressing thoughts in two languages. Balance has been my goal for this year. Some days it's there, and other feel as if it will never be within my reach.

Brooke Williams in his book Half-lifes writes that balance can only be attained while in motion. His analogy of riding a bike seems apt. My take is that it takes practice move closer to that equilibrium. Even though it doesn't necessarily imply doing something, it is not something that can passively be achieved.

I struggle because I know what to do to create more balance in my life, but I often don't act on that knowledge. Instead, I procrastinate or fester my anxiousness until I feel overwhelmed and helpless. Inertia pulls me to do nothing.

At times, I'm able to do things, like writing, that give me a taste of that balance. And it feels pretty good. I just can't understand why it's so difficult to do things that generate balance in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Struggling to find balance….I feel you. You are so not alone in that one. I have found myself there more often than not lately. Given the work we do and this vida loca, finding balance in the myriad of pressures we face is so hard. I can totally relate to feeling like your juggling too many balls, and eventually dropping them all…unfortunately.
But I guess my friend, all you can do is keep reminding yourself that you are your number one priority. YOU. Neglecting yourself is not an option.
I was telling my dad the other day that I wished there were more hours in the day to which he replied “Alethea you just need to use more of the hours the day has.”
Whatever…but maybe Bernie is on to something?

Still. Wouldn’t it be easier if there were two of you?

Take care of you!!

marita said...

Thanks! Very right.

It might be easier to have two of me...but if I did, I'd probably find a way to make my life just as loca. I really like what your dad had to say. It's about setting priorities (and limits, too).