11.17.2007

Cosa chistosa...

I traveled for about a week at the end of the summer. My housemate was also out of town, so we had the neighbors take care of the animals, including my 4 chickens.

The chickens were a little odd when I got back. One became really broody and didn't leave the nest for nearly 3 weeks. The rest basically stopped laying. I blamed it on molting since I had been finding feathers in the backyard, but I wasn't sure. We looked through everywhere we thought they may have been laying, but nothing.

Something was fishy here. Maybe I just had really passive-aggressive birds that wanted to teach me a lesson about leaving. Perhaps they were a bit confused with the start of fall (they still had plenty of sunlight and warmth to lay, though). I resorted to threats..."If you don't produce eggs, you'll have to find your next meal..." It fell on deaf ears. Nothing changed.

Until one Saturday I was feeding the bunny, I noticed that the protected part of his hutch was overflowing with eggs. 30 of them. Problem solved. I couldn't stop laughing.

No comments: