12.01.2008

Recession Recipes

I thought, in the spirit of these difficult times, I'd share some recipes I've created to beat the economic doldrums. Well, they're not really recipes; they're dishes I've made up with items I find on my shelves and in the fridge. I still remember my mom admonishing my cousin for using a recipe for apple crisp: "Put that book away. You don't need it!" It's some sage advice that's stuck with me over the years.
So what follows is merely a framework or suggestion. It's nothing set in stone. I also realize that the random food I have in my kitchen is by no means typical. You have liberty to adapt to your taste.

Monday Afternoon Short Sauce
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 T. sundried tomatoes, in oil
2 tsp. capers
1 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
1/4 c. beer (NM green chile works well)
1/4 cream
pepper and oregano to taste

Heat the oil and butter. When pan is hot, add the chopped garlic. Sauté until golden. Throw in the capers and sundried tomatoes and stir. Add the cream and beer, then pepper and oregano to your liking. Serve over your favorite pasta with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. ¡Buen provecho!

2 comments:

MJT said...

Love the recipe, but where do you keep food on your "selves"? I'll get the cookies and beer ready!

marita said...

i told you that what i have on my selve is unique...