7.20.2008

They say "a 20-minute walk" like it's a bad thing

What have things come to? That a walk 1+ miles is an inconvenience?

Sometimes I lament that I should be in better shape. I know I should. But when I hear someone cautioning me that I might want to consider staying in a different building at a retreat center because it's too far removed from everything else, I start to wonder. Removed, to me, means far, as in way more than a mile. I chuckled when the reservation person said "well, it's a 20 minute walk from the main buildings."

That's exactly the point. First, I don't need to be only meters away from everything else. This will be time to recharge without all the distractions. Second, what better way to recharge by taking a leisurely stroll outdoors to go to the hot springs and places to eat.

I put it into perspective when I'm upset that I only ran 3 miles or that I didn't make it to the top of a mountain. Maybe just I'm getting überanalytical about this, but 20 minutes ain't got nothin' on me.

2 comments:

Melody Kingsley said...

20 minute walks are only bad when it's raining but you guys don't have to worry about that too much. I also don't like them when I'm super pregnant, not fun.

marita said...

...or when it's used ephemistically to mean "a 30 minute walk that includes a 15-minute hike up an exposed, steep hill (known as a 'mountain' in certain parts of the country) that, in climbing during the late afternoon heat, will make one feel nauseous at best."